Creating PDF's with PL/SQL and itext

By | June 20th, 2009|Categories: Database|Tags: , , |

There are several ways to create PDF's, on the client (e.g. PDFCreator) or on the middletier. But to create PDF's merely with packages in the database, that's another story. Even Apex uses some Java on the middletier. The product PLPDF on the other hand is a well known utility which provides this functionality (using open-source 'itext'), but.. you have to pay for this. So why not do it ourselves with itext, open-source (answer: a lot of work and knowledge of Java...).

Create virtual host with Webcache on OAS 10.1.0.2

By | June 12th, 2009|Categories: App. Server|Tags: |

Creating Virtual Host with Webcache and HTTP-server. Not that high-tech, but takes quite a lot of small steps, and must be done without taking risks in a production environment. I did this with Enterprise Manager, while I did not completely rely on my abilities on updating the $ORACLE_HOME/webcache/webcache.xml ..... , and eventually I had to hand it over to the production-DBA.

Headstart 10g installation/configuration 6.5.4

By | June 8th, 2009|Categories: App. Server|Tags: , , |

10 years ago the installation and configuration of Headstart was a lot of sweat(r)ing, mostly not automated installation-scripts with a lot of faults in it. And thank God it has not changed!! Scripts are Windows-oriented, never heard of Linux, documentation is not quite self-explainable.

Updating sequences, the Developer's way

By | June 8th, 2009|Categories: Database|

As a DBA it’s quite common to update sequences by altering the increment of the sequence temporarily. Therefore it’s nice to know how Developers are  acting with the problem that a sequence is not in line with the corresponding id of a table. Just another view on this matter, kind […]

Discoverer, can't edit some workbooks, OLException

By | June 8th, 2009|Categories: App. Server|

A Discoverer item:  while trying to edit some workbook items or when choosing Edit -> Condition , errors popped up like this:
“OracleBI Discoverer   :    java.lang.ArrayIndexOutOfBoundsException ”

“An error occurred while attempting to perform the operation.
The operation did not complete successfully.

Extra Internal Info:
(OLException
Cause:OLException {
Code: OLCmRefException::eNullRef
Args: OLCmRefException::eNullRef}}

Version Discoverer: 10.1.2.54.25

Doc ID:     559541.1:
After applying […]