Problem: when running form modules using Internet Explorer and JInitiator 1.3.1.x, the browser window opens and crashes immediately before the applet starts. When using Mozilla Firefox, there’s no problem at all.
Several notes on Metalink about this: 602001.1, 430359.1, 550301.1
The issue does not occur when using Sun JRE version 1.4, 1.5 and 1.6.
This issue is first logged as JInitiator Bug 5643502 – INTERNET EXPLORER WITH WINDOWS LIVE TOOLBAR PLUG-IN CRASHES, but based on Sun Bug 4741238, the bug occurs in JRE version 1.3 (JInitiator is based on JRE 1.3) and the bug is fixed in JRE versions 1.4 and higher.
Solution according the notes
To avoid the crash,
(1) Use Sun JRE 1.4 and higher
– OR –
(2) Uninstall Windows Live Toolbar (or other software what you suspect is the cause)
– OR –
(3) Disable the toolbar’s associated Add-ons as the following:
1. Open Internet Explorer
2. From the menu open Tools -> Manage Add-ons -> Enable or Disable Add-ons
3. Select the following Add-ons and disable each of them by clicking the “Disable” button
– Windows Live Sign-In Helper
– Windows Live Toolbar
– Windows Live Toolbar Helper
– Windows Messenger
4. Restart Internet Explorer
– OR –
(4) Disable 3rd-party browser extensions as follows:
– From the browser menu Tools -> Internet Options -> Advanced
– Uncheck “Enable third-party browser extensions”
First I chose for the last option, the policy was changed by the Windows system administrators for all the clients in the network, and done.. But there were (un)expected side-affects, like a particular SSO-application could’nt be reached anymore. People didn’t appreciate this 😉
So finally I went for a solution which isn’t in the note, but spread around the internet:
Copy the jvm.dll from
C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.6.0_07\bin\client (jre1.4.2 does work as well..)
C:\Program Files\Oracle\JInitiator 22.214.171.124\bin\hotspot
Easy to distribute for the system-administrators and I’ve got enough time to go for a more structured approach, upgrading for example….